Timeless Outplacement Programs: A Concept Worth Exploring
December 10, 2015 by Raymond Lee
For so many years, outplacement and career transition programs have been driven by length of program and the number of hours of career coaching in most cases. Companies who offer outplacement to displaced employees would generally select a variety of programs that are budget driven and generally time bound with a limited amount of career coaching hours. The reality is most displaced employees who are let go from their employer need more support than their company provided. The program they receive in many cases falls short of the support needed to land in their next job.
So what does this mean? First of all, we know outplacement is evolving as companies today are considering more virtual outplacement programs for their displaced employees versus traditional brick and mortar programs. Today’s modern day job seeker is doing everything online from booking travel, to banking, to shopping, to even finding their next true love, so why would a job seeker drive 45 minutes for a 30 minute face to face meeting when they can do it from home virtually.
In this new outplacement model, it just makes sense to demand a program that has no time limits and no limit to the number of career coaching hours a displaced employee receives.
When considering an outplacement program, consider whether the program meeting the changing needs of today’s modern day job seeker.
- Is the program time bound? Job seekers need programs that will support them till they find their next opportunity.
- Does the program offer career coaching support until the job seeker finds a new position. Job seekers typically need the most assistance crossing the finish line, not just a resume and a plan.
- Is the program personalized to the job seekers need? A one size fits all outplacement program doesn’t work today. Job seekers need timeless outplacement programs that are custom tailored to their needs.
- Does the program offer of a blend of face to face support as well as a virtual offering. Many job seekers need a face to face experience, but can handle virtual support as well.
- How robust is the technology offering? Job seekers today are looking for efficient ways to find a job quickly and will go elsewhere if they are not satisfied with the quality of the program.
Displaced employees who have their worlds turned upside down as a result of a layoff should receive the support they need all the way across the finish line. They should receive timeless outplacement programs that have unlimited career coaching support.
In need of outplacement assistance?
At Careerminds, we care about people first. That’s why we offer personalized talent management solutions for every level at lower costs, globally.